The Talon

Filed under News, Showcase

ISIS: A threat to the world’s peace

Back to Article
Back to Article

ISIS: A threat to the world’s peace

Wikimedia and Wikimedia

Wikimedia and Wikimedia

Wikimedia and Wikimedia

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, has arrived as one of the most menacing terrorist groups in Middle East, threatening the peace and believing it has a duty to rule the world. As one of the most extreme Islamist groups, it does not allow for any other interpretation of Islam than its own strict beliefs.

ISIS is committing ever more brutal acts, including the decapitations of American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff. It has already realized that publicity is “the oxygen of terrorism,” and will keep showing off its brutality to the world so that it can attract public interest. According to U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf, “They have shown their willingness to kill anyone in their path—not just Americans, not just Westerners, but Iraqis of all faiths, of all sects.”

One of the most serious problems involving ISIS is that there is a large number of volunteers from the West joining in order to discover new identities, religions, or families. In one picture, a seven year-old volunteer for the terrorist group whose family is from Australia holds a decapitated head.

Meanwhile, another problem is that the extremists are increasingly advanced in terms of new media technologies, such as social media, video production, and distribution of their propaganda, some of which is highly sophisticated. Moreover, people can easily buy ISIS t-shirts for about $10, which read, “We are all ISIS” or “Fight for Freedom, Until the Last Drop of Blood.” One former ISIS fighter said that this propaganda campaign could inspire foreign jihadists because it indirectly suggests that many Western people advocate for ISIS.

They have shown their willingness to kill anyone in their path—not just Americans, not just Westerners, but Iraqis of all faiths, of all sects.”

Charlie Cooper, a Middle Eastern researcher at the Quilliam Foundation, insists that the media should treat ISIS’ propaganda prudently. He suggests that people be aware of what is happening currently at the hand of ISIS and journalists be careful “not to do the jihadists’ job for them.” In addition, some journalists maintain that propaganda videos should be blocked in order to prevent ISIS from showing off its extremism online.

U.S. President Obama said in a speech, “Whatever these murderers think they will achieve by murdering innocents like Steven [Sotloff], they have already failed.” However, it is currently unclear who has won in this situation. One of the members of ISIS said, “I’m back, Obama, and I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State.”

Sources: cnn.com, theguardian.com